Here are some of the key NYSBA Committee on Professional Ethics opinions discussing the types of marketing that transactional attorneys are likely to engage in on the internet:
1. Ethics Opinion No. 848 – deals with newsletters and blog posts.
2. Ethics Opinion No. 873 – offering a prize for joining an attorney’s social networking site. This might not be quite as sleazy as it first sounds.
3. Ethics Opinion No. 877 – permissible material on a firm’s website.
4. Ethics Opinion No. 888 – links to other businesses on law firm website.
5. Ethics Opinion No. 897 – use of “Groupon” and similar coupon opportunities. For what type of service is this a good marketing strategy?
6. Ethics Opinion No. 899 – interaction in real-time online, as in a chatroom.
7. Ethics Opinion No. 842 – deals with storing data in the “cloud.” Not marketing, but certainly topical.
There certainly may be others, and as I locate them I will post them.